The Lagos State Ministry of Education was created following the creation of Lagos State in 1967 and is subsequently saddled with the following ministerial responsibilities among others:-
1. Policy and Control of Pre-Primary Education in Lagos State.
2. Policy and Control of Primary Education in Lagos State except Staff Matters.
3. Policy, Control and Management of Secondary Schools in Lagos State except Staff Matters.
4. Approval, Regulation and Monitoring of Private, Pre-Primary, Primary, Post-Primary, Vocational and Technical Institutions.
5. Advisory Committee on Education
6. Pre-Vocational Education
7. Technical and Vocational Education
8. Educational Technology with emphasis on Educational Broadcast and Audio-Visual Aids.
9. Science and Technology Education
10. Guidance and Counseling
11. Schools Construction Programme
12. Teacher Education
13. Inspection of Private and Public Schools for quality control and educational standards
14. Special Education – Gifted/Talented Children and Handicapped Children
15. Relations with the Nigeria Union of Teachers and similar Organizations in conjunction with the Office of the Special Adviser on Education
16. Monitoring by Special Adviser on Education
17. State Committee on Implementation of the National Policy on Education (6-3-3-4)
18. Secondary Schools Boards of Governors/PTA
19. Other Educational Matters
20. Relations with TESCOM (TEPO & DISTRICTS)
21. Relations with Voluntary Organisations
22. Supervision and Management of all Libraries and Schools of Family Support Programme.